Electrical Earthing is one of the most essential parts in electrical engineering. You may deal will different types of electrical equipment and if there is no earthing system then you are at high risk. But having a earthing system is not enough.
You have to calculate your overall load and individual earthing for each electrical equipment and machine. In my factory we calculate all earthing system according to our government guideline from our outdoor substation to individual machine.
But you have to make sure one thing and that is never connect earthing system with lightning protection system. I am going to post a series of article about earthing system that you can get enough idea about a perfect earthing system.
Introduction of Earthing System:
The method of all electrical connection to the general mass of the earth is normally called earthing or grounding system. So there is a big relation with your earthing system and earth. If the relation is well established then you are safe. We can classified earthing system as,
- System Earthing: When the earthing system is connected with the neutral point of generator or a power transformer then it’s called the system earthing.
- Equipment Earthing: When earthing system is connected with the non current carrying metal parts of any equipments then it will called the equipment earthing system.
Substation Earthing System:
An electrical substation is always a vital part of electrical power system. We always try to protect substation from any kind of problem. Substation has many kind of protection system but having a strong earthing system in electrical substation is essential. There is no way that you can ignore about that. Now there are three purposes for substation earthing,
- To connect the neutral point of electrical substation to the earth.
- To connect all lightning arrestor grounding points to the earth.
- To connect all non current carrying metal parts of electrical equipment in the substation to the earth.
So, those are few task that you need to remember when you are designing or making an electrical substation for better protection.
Now if you find this post useful then please share with your friends. If you want daily update then please subscribe (Newsletter) to our website.