Electrical Earthing is one of the most essential parts of electrical engineering. You may deal will different types of electrical equipment and if there is no earthing system then you are at high risk. But having an earthing system is not enough.
You have to calculate your overall load and individual earthing for each electrical equipment and machine. In my factory, we calculate all earthing systems according to our government guidelines from our outdoor substation to the individual machine.
But you have to make sure one thing and that is never connected to the earthing system with the lightning protection system. I am going to post a series of articles about an earthing system that you can get enough ideas about a perfect earthing system.
Introduction of Earthing System:
The method of all electrical connections to the general mass of the earth is normally called earthing or grounding system. So there is a big relation with your earthing system and earth. If the relation is well established then you are safe. We can classify the earthing system as,
- System Earthing: When the earthing system is connected with the neutral point of the generator or a power transformer then it’s called the system earthing.
- Equipment Earthing: When the earthing system is connected with the noncurrent-carrying metal parts of any type of equipment then it will be called the equipment earthing system.
Substation Earthing System:
An electrical substation is always a vital part of the electrical power system. We always try to protect substations from any kind of problem. The substation has many kinds of protection systems but having a strong earthing system in the electrical substation is essential. There is no way that you can ignore that. Now there are three purposes for substation earthing,
- To connect the neutral point of the electrical substation to the earth.
- To connect all lightning arrestor grounding points to the earth.
- To connect all non-current carrying metal parts of electrical equipment in the substation to the earth.
So, those are a few tasks that you need to remember when you are designing or making an electrical substation for better protection.
Now if you find this post useful then please share it with your friends. If you want the daily update then please subscribe (Newsletter) to our website.