I work in a Spinning Mills. We use to produce 100% export quality of yarn from cotton. In a spinning factory you will find different types of machine like Ring Frame, Simplex Roving Frame, Carding Machine, Drawing Framer and many more.
But most important thing is that the entire machine has at list one motor. If I include humidity plant or AC Plant then it will be huge number of motor you can find in spinning mills. So it’s important to check all the motor everyday and if there is any problem then solve the problem as soon as possible.
In this post I will discuss how to make a motor inspection chart and some most common troubleshooting for induction motor. So let’s go.
Induction Motor Inspection Chart:
|SL||Inspection Frequency||Item of Inspection|
|1||Hourly||Temperature : Ampere : Voltage : Sound and Vibration|
|2||Daily||Check Air Out Ways are Clear or Not : Visual Inspection|
|3||Weekly||Bearing Condition : Commutator or Slip Ring, Brush|
|4||Monthly||Cable Condition : Vibration Measuring : Blowing, Cleaning|
|6||Half Yearly||Thermal Box : Foundation Bolt : Condition of Insulation : Air Gap|
|7||Yearly||Switchgear : Earthing Checking : The Item Not Covered Before|
|8||Five Yearly||Overall Inspection of Motor|
Induction Motor Troubleshooting:
Faults or trouble for an induction motor can be categories as an external faults and internal faults. Now the external faults or trouble can be classified as,
- Under Voltage or Over Voltage
- Main Supply Line Open
- Faults in Motor Control System or in Motor Starter
- Moisture, Dust, High Ambient Temperature and some others
Internal faults can be categorized as the Mechanical Faults, The Electrical Faults and the Magnetic Circuit Faults.
Mechanical Faults of Motor: Broken Brush Holder, Damaged Commutator, Bad Bearing Condition, Shaft is Bend, Misalignment, Fouling of Cooler or a Defected Motor Cooling System.
Electrical Faults of Motor: The Motor Winding Inter Turn Short Circuit and Very Poor Contact, Punctured Insulation.
Magnetic Circuit Faults of Motor: Break Down of The Inter Laming Insulation and Non Uniform Flux Between The Parallel Branches, Core is Abnormally Hot.
Related: What is IP or Ingress Protection
Some Others Problem for an Induction Motor:
- Motor Runs at no Load But it’s Stop When its Loaded: Break in The Delta Connected Stator Winding, Wrong Connection for Stator Winding, If the Stator Inter Connection is Short, Line Voltage is Low.
- Sparking at Motor Slip Rings: When Current is Over Loaded, Brush Quality is Poor, Very Dirty and Pitted Slip Ring, Very Poor Contact / Weak Brush Pressure, The Brush Sizing in Holder, Poor Brush Seating and Bending.
- Motor Vibration in Machine During Operation: Bent Shaft, Too Much Wearing of the Bearing, Very Bad Coupling or Misalignment, Join Belts in Wrong, Mass Unbalance of the Rotor, Redial Centering or Inaccurate Axial, Looseness of Machine Parts or Foundation.
Related: How to Select a Perfect AC Motor?
Now if you find this post useful then please share with your friends. If you want you can subscribe (Newsletter) to our blog for daily electrical update. Thanks!