In this post, I will discuss the advantage and disadvantages of outdoor electrical substation compared with the indoor substation.
The advantage of Outdoor Substation:
Outdoor Electrical Substation is located in Outdoor that’s means there will be no rooftop. The following advantage can be found by an outdoor substation.
- The main construction work will be needed is much smaller if we compared it with an indoor substation.
- Always less quantity of buildings or infrastructure is needed.
- Insulation cost for switchgear and other electrical equipment is very low.
- Adequate space between two separate adjoining equipment can be provided which can reduce the possibility of any kind of fault.
- Erection and Commissioning for the substation can be completed in a much leaser time period.
- All equipment can be viewed and it can help to find the fault location easier.
- Future extension of the scheme is easier and whenever needed.
The disadvantage of Outdoor Substation:
- Always more space needed to arrange all the equipment.
- The dirt and dust always deposit over the contact switch and other equipment, thus the maintenance cost can be increased.
In a conventional outdoor electrical substation (Rated 33KV and above) will have various substation equipment like Circuit Breaker, Current Transformer (C.T), Potential Transformer (P.T), Isolators, Earth Break Switch (A.B.S), Air Circuit Breaker (A.C.B) and some others will be installed under the open sky.
Necessary clearance needs to provide between phases and ground. The equipment for outdoor switchgear manufactured separately and it will be erected at the site as per the switchyard layout.
But for a low voltage (Below 1000V) and a middle-high voltage (Below 33KV), the clearance required between phases and grounds are relatively small. But all equipment likes Bus Bar, Circuit Breaker, Current Transformer (C.T), Potential Transformer (P.T), Isolators, Earth Break Switch (A.B.S), Air Circuit Breaker (A.C.B), Relays and others can be provided in/on factory-assembled metal-enclosed unite.
Now if you find this post useful then please share it with your friends. If you want you can download our new Official Android App for keeping all-new articles in one place when you are offline. Thanks!